Follow Me

Search This Blog

Friday, August 31, 2018

LOVE Is or Aint?

I have been going back and forth about how I feel about Love is. Don't get me wrong, I liiiiiive honey. I love the passion and the drama. I've laughed, I've cried and have found myself relating to a lot of their relational issues. However, I've also found myself side-eyeing the storyline.
Quick disclaimer: I've had my fair share of relationship messiness so trust me, this ain't judgment yall. IJS
I've started to question my own approach to love and if maybe the reason I'm still single is because I tap out after what looks like future disaster unlike our sis Nuri. I mean, there are moments while watching the series and I'm like " Father in Heaven, please send me a fine, strong, supportive, aggressive-when-he-needs-to-be man like Yasir, Amen". Then I open my eyes just in time to witness Yasir's life drama spilling from scene to scene. It's good for TV but be mindful this series is based on the true love story of the writers Mara Brock Akil and Salim Akil.

Yasir and Nuri are night and day (no pun intended) and being that opposites do attract I can see the beauty in their love but Yasir came with a lot of baggage that I don't believe Nuri was ready for.
Nuri is a pretty, spunky, writer for a hit TV sitcom. She's young and living her best life in Cali. One day, while at a café, she's approached by Yasir. A struggling writer. Attractive, confident and based on his demeanor, you can tell Yasir is a real man's man. Not at all concerned with the opinions of others and protects his square at all costs which can be appealing to any woman (violently waves hand) not to mention he's sexy as all get out...or did I mention that already. Nothing comes of the initial introduction but a year later they reconnect and start dating. While in the relationship which is only one month in thus far, they fall madly in love with each other.
Sounds cute right? Damn near magically! To meet what your soul recognizes is it's mate and you guys make a choice that come hell or high water, you're riding until the wheels fall off. Well, before we pull off in our caravan of love with these two, lets do a little maintenance.
Is it just me or is Yasir a little too damn controlling? His assertiveness and charm is appealing but comes off a bit manipulative and since Nuri has shown herself to be a little naïve, I felt like he picked up on that and was able to convince her that she needed him in her life. Do you remember when she bought the coral couch for the living room? When she asked him if he liked it he told her not in the living room and that it should be in her office to stimulate her creativeness. Being a creative myself I could see his point but damn bruh!
Nigga get your own couch and put it where you want!
...Was and still is my immediate thought. Another example is when she was getting ready for work and he told her she should wear a white t-shirt under her black nightgown with some white converse. I wont front, I thought the outfit was cute but she wasn't exactly comfortable going to work in lingerie which was totally understandable. When she questioned the look  he said, and I'm paraphrasing, he just wanted her to see herself as effortlessly, beautiful as he sees her. Passive aggressive much or am I buggin? I felt like he was always correcting her but god-forbid he was called to the carpet on his BS.




To prove that I'm not a "man basher",  I'll share the good I've seen in Yasir. I admired how he didn't completely turn his back on his ex Ruby. He was a very present help during her recovery after her liposuction and he didn't throw his relationship with Nuri in her face. He also had positive effects on Nuri's life. He did help her find her voice resulting in her being more confident. He was emotionally available to the max. A great listener and protector. He helped her confront the dark things about her past like being molested and being more mature. He helped bring some dimension to her life by showing her the world beyond her rose colored shades.

However a huge part of that dimension was his drama she became exposed to. Being  unemployed, living with his then-girlfriend, stubborn as all hell, and secretly a father. While she had her obvious concerns, she overlooked them all and saw an opportunity in him for love and growth. The average person would have dubbed the whole "situationship" and moved on. I've literally curved men for less. I don't know if I'm too hard or if she was too soft which leads me to this:
For those of us women that have set standards for your relationship goals, are your standards realistic? Do feel like your standards have you more single than a dollar bill single? What if the only thing your significant other may bring to the table is the intangible like love, emotional support, mental stimulation, good sex, spiritual balance. Is that Real? Enough? Real enough? Or are we so caught up in what a person has and how they can add physical value like a good job, being degreed' up, having their own home and own car, that we miss out on a blessing of a human being? Of course wanting a partner to be a reflection of your own good can avoid serious problems in the long run but at what point do the bars that we've set as standards become barriers?
What is your definition of real love. What you feel or what you know? And once you have the answer, how do you proceed?!
Please let me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts on this post.

Dear Lover Pt.1 Writtten by Krystal Schley

dipped in dark scent of cocoa made the old way like in the forests of Punta Cuna everything’s pure and drips organical...